Vembu Backup for Microsoft Hyper-V
Robust, Scalable, and Reliable Backup & DR Solution For Microsoft Hyper-V VMs
- Agentless VM Backup for Hyper-V Standalone Hosts and Cluster Servers
- Ensure RPO, RTO < 15 minutes
- Application-aware backup with log truncation
- Resilient Change Tracking (RCT) based incremental backups
- Instant recovery at VM, file or application-item level
- Supports Hyper-V Cluster, CSV, S2D, SMB share
- Automated Backup Verification to verify the recoverability of backup
- Cross-Hypervisor migration support (V2V)
Backup unlimited VMs for free. No feature restrictions up to 10 VMs
Sign up for a Free Demo
〉 Flexible Licensing Options for All Types of Businesses
Free Hyper-V Backup
- Backup and Protect Unlimited Hyper-V VMs at zero cost
- Full-feature for up to 10 VMs and limited features for the rest of the VMs
- Backup & restore your VMware VMs at $3.60/month
- Businesses with up to 100 VMs can backup at just $1.80/mo. per VM with the Standard Essential edition
- Backup and Restore your Hyper-V VMs at $6.00/mo. per VM
- Businesses with up to 100 VMs can backupat just $3.00/mo. per VM with the Enterprise Essential edition
〉 Hyper-V Backup & Recovery – Feature Highlights
- Agentless image-based backup for Hyper-V VMs at Host and Cluster level
- Backup Hyper-V virtual machines on Local Storage, Cluster Shared Volumes (CSV), Storage Spaces Direct (S2D), SMB share – Standalone File Server, Clustered File Server & Scale-Out File Server (SOFS)
- Application-Aware backup including automatic Log Truncation for Microsoft Exchange, SQL, AD, Sharepoint servers
- Resilient Change Tracking (RCT) based incremental backup for Hyper-V VMs running on Windows Server 2016 and above
- Vembu uses its proprietary Changed Block Tracking driver to perform the incremental backup for Hyper-V VMs running on Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 and 2008 R2
- Automated Backup Verification to verify the recoverability of backed up VMs
- Instant Boot VM to restore the entire Hyper-V VM within a few seconds on Hyper-V/VMware/KVM hypervisor
- Restore the backed up VMs to the same or different Hyper-V host if the source VM fails
- Instantly restore the individual files and folders without restoring the entire VMs
- Granular restore of application items such as Microsoft Active Directory, SQL, Exchange, and SharePoint using Vembu Granular Recovery tool
- Instantly mount the disks of backed up VMs and access the data locally through the disk management of BDR backup server
- Flexibility to migrate Hyper-V VMs to other hypervisors (VMware, KVM, etc.)
- Scale-out backup repository provides the flexibility to scale as and when required
- Built-in AES 256-bit Encryption for backup data security
- Built-in Compression & Deduplication for efficient use of backup storage
- Backup Hyper-V VM data to offsite such as Remote/Branch office, Cloud or Tape
- Centralized Monitoring tool and License Management portal
- Hyper-V Live Replication with automated Failover and Failback *Coming Soon
〉 Supported Hyper-V Environments
Hyper-V on Windows Server
Microsoft Hyper-V Server
- Windows Server 2019
- Windows Server 2016
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Core
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2019
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2016
- Hyper-V Server 2012 R2 (S) core
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2012
- Microsoft Hyper-V Server 2008
- Windows 10 (Desktop OS)
〉 Vembu Hyper-V Backup Solution – Best way to backup Hyper-V Virtual Machines
Vembu BDR Suite allows you to ensure complete data availability in Hyper-V environments, including single Hyper-V hosts to multiple Windows Server Failover Clusters hosting the Hyper-V role. Even when virtual machines are moved to another Hyper-V host, the backup will continue to function without interruptions. Used in conjunction with the native high availability features within Hyper-V, Vembu BDR Suite ensures data availability for your Hyper-V production workloads.
High-Performance Hyper-V Backup and Restore
Businesses need high-performance Hyper-V backup software to match their high-performance Hyper-V environment. Vembu BDR Suite makes this possible!
- Near Continuous Data Protection for your Hyper-V environment with RPO & RTO values of less than 15 minutes
- Vembu utilizes Microsoft’s RCT, Vembu CBT, and checksum to perform Hyper-V incremental backups
- Instant Boot VM to ensure business continuity and granular-level restore of files/apps to get instant access to the required data
Hyper-V Backups Focused on Security
Vembu’s Hyper-V backup tool interacts with Hyper-V environments using Microsoft’s secured authentication mechanism to bolster the overall data security.
- Hyper-V backups are encrypted in-flight and at-rest through custom/system-generated password using AES 256-bit encryption
- Backups are stored on Vembu’s proprietary patented file system – VembuHIVE, built for performance and security
Restore, Migrate, Convert Hyper-V Backups
Vembu’s Hyper-V backup & recovery software provides unrivaled flexibility to restore, migrate, or even convert data contained in their Hyper-V backups.
- Easily migrate Hyper-V backups to VMware, KVM or any other hypervisors
- VembuHIVE File system allows quick conversions between VHD, VHDX, Flat-VMDK, VMDK, or RAW formats
Easily Achieve and Maintain Compliance and Regulatory Requirements
Vembu, with its Hyper-V backup solution, empowers organizations to accomplish data and regulatory compliance demands seamlessly while protecting business-critical data in Hyper-V environments.
- Hyper-V backups are encrypted in-flight and at-rest so data is secured full circle using industry-standard AES-256 encryption
- Basic & Advanced Retention policies to ensure data is not kept around unnecessarily on disk for an undetermined amount of time
Hyper-V Backups Built for the Cloud
Microsoft has engineered Hyper-V to include very strong “cloud” features. Vembu BDR Suite allows businesses today to utilize the cloud and hybrid cloud configurations to protect Hyper-V workloads.
- Replicate Hyper-V backup data to your DR site or to the public cloud with Offsite DR provisioned in any public cloud environments including AWS, Azure, and GCP
- Make use of Vembu Offsite DR and Vembu Cloud for a fully managed cloud DR solution
〉 Automated Hyper-V Backups with unrivaled performance
Agentless Host Level/Cluster Level Backups
Vembu BDR Suite allows effectively backing up virtual machines at the Hyper-V host or Hyper-V Cluster level.
- Hyper-V virtual machines require no agents for backups
- Backup VMs on local storage, CSV, S2D, and SMB shares
- Manage Hyper-V backups all from within the BDR backup server console
Near Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
Protect your Hyper-V Servers with RPO 15 minutes with flexible scheduling policies.
- Backup every 15 mins or hourly/daily/weekly basis
- Vembu utilizes Microsoft’s RCT, proprietary CBT and checksum based methods to perform Hyper-V Incremental backups
Businesses today run services and data on top of business-critical applications and the data protection solutions need to have the ability to interact with the application for consistent backups.
- Leverages Microsoft VSS technology to create consistent application state
- Supported for Microsoft Exchange, SQL, SharePoint, and Active Directory
- Transaction Log Truncation
Automated Backup Verification
Vembu BDR Suite takes the heavy lifting out of the backup verification process by providing an automated process for verifying Hyper-V Server backups.
- 3-tier backup verification – Boot test, Mount test, and Data Integrity test
- Automatically boots and tests the backed-up Hyper-V VMs
- Screenshot of the booted VM is captured and sent via email
Retention allows organizations to have total control over data and purge unneeded restore points from the backup repository. Having a way to automatically apply retention policies is an important part of virtual machine backup.
- Vembu offers Basic and Advanced Retention Policies to retain multiple recovery points that span days and years
- Depending on business SLAs the retention policy can be adjusted by selecting the number of versions to be kept for restoration
〉 Flexible Hyper-V Recovery options to meet your business SLAs
Instant Boot VM
Restoring access to services and data quickly is key to ensuring and maintaining business continuity. Vembu BDR Suite allows recovering Hyper-V virtual machines instantly.
- Meet RTO less than 15 minutes
- Boot Virtual Machines directly from backup storage
- Instantly recover backed up Hyper-V VMs on Hyper-V/VMware/KVM
Instant File-Level Recovery
The most basic and elemental recovery operation is recovery files. Vembu BDR Suite allows quick and easy recovery of files and folders directly from the backup data.
- Supported for Hyper-V Windows VMs
- Restore files/folders to the same or different location
- Restore the file permissions
Granular Recovery of MS Applications
Vembu provides the ability to perform application item-level recovery allowing organizations to have very granular control over data.
- Supported for Microsoft Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint, and Active Directory
- Mount the backup data, browse and restore the application items directly from the backup using Vembu Universal Explorer Tool
Flexible Restores and Migration
Vembu BDR Suite contains powerful flexibility that allows instantly migrate Hyper-V VMs to another hypervisor.
- Easily convert Hyper-V VMs into various virtual formats – VHD, VHDX, VMDK, Flat-VMDK, or RAW
- These virtual formats can later be used for V2V migration scenarios
〉 Ensure Advanced Data Security and Maximum Storage Efficiency
Backup Security and Encryption
Vembu allows the organization’s data to have protection, full-circle and meet the standards of today’s compliance regulations.
- Backup data is encrypted both at-rest and in-flight using industry-standard AES-256 bit encryption
- Protect your backup data with custom or system-generated passwords
Scale-Out Backup Repository
Vembu BDR backup server provides the flexibility to scale the storage repositories as and when required without any limitations.
- Supports different storage media such as Local drives, NAS (NFS and CIFS) and SAN (iSCSI and FC) as backup targets
- Automatically uses the newly added storages to save incremental data
Software Defined Backup Storage
Vembu BDR Suite allows creating software-defined logical storage pools that make efficient use of all available storage provisioned for backup purposes.
- Easily add or group new storage into the storage pool
- Supports built-in Compression and Deduplication for using backup storage efficiently
Build Virtual Lab Environments
〉 Hyper-V Backup with DR Support to Keep your Business Disaster Ready
Hyper-V Backup to Offsite
Copying backup data offsite is an essential part of protecting business-critical data. Vembu Offsite DR allows businesses to easily copy backups offsite to either an on-premise server in a remote site or in the AWS/Azure/Google Cloud.
- Instant VM Recovery & Granular Recovery of Files/Apps
- WAN Acceleration & Bandwidth Throttling
Hyper-V Cloud Backup
Organizations utilizing Hyper-V often want to leverage the power of the cloud or hybrid cloud configurations. Vembu BDR Suite makes this possible through
- Offsite DR server hosted in the Public Clouds like AWS, Azure, Google
- Vembu Cloud
Hyper-V Backup to Tape
Vembu BDR Suite allows organizations to effectively use the still very cost-effective tape backup medium.
- Effective long-term archival storage
- Meet the best practice 3-2-1 backup strategy
How does Vembu Backup for Hyper-V works
Vembu Backup for Hyper-V supports agentless host/cluster level backup of Hyper-V VMs. Vembu uses the image-based backup approach and leverages Microsoft VSS snapshot and Hyper-V checkpoint capabilities to back up the entire VM data including OS, applications, hyper-v configuration files, and VM disks.
Native Microsoft technology RCT is used to perform incremental backups. You can instantly restore the VM within a few seconds or granularly recover only the files and application items directly from the backup. You can also create a copy of your Hyper-V backups to a Remote Site, Private/Public Cloud or Vembu Cloud.
Host/Cluster Level Backup – Perform an image-level backup of Hyper-V VMs without installing any agents. Select the entire Hyper-V host/cluster to backup all the VMs in a single backup job or configure multiple backup jobs with different sets of VMs in each.
VM/Disk Exclusion – VM/Disk Exclusion filter can be applied to exclude any specific VMs from the selected Hyper-V host/cluster and to exclude specific disks of selected VMs for the backup.
Application-Aware Backup – Enable guest processing settings for Hyper-V VMs with MS applications like Exchange, SQL, Sharepoint, and Active Directory, to ensure consistency of applications during backup.
Log Truncation – Enable Log Truncation to automatically truncate transaction logs of database applications like MS Exchange or SQL server.
Backup Schedule Policy – Backup for Hyper-V VMs can be set and run automatically as often as every 15 mins or every few hours or daily or weekly on specific days.
Incremental Backup – Vembu uses Microsoft’s RCT on Windows Server 2016 & above and own CBT driver on Windows Server 2012, 2012 R2 & 2008 R2 to backup only the changed blocks.
Additional Full Backup – Create a new full backup on a periodic basis – daily/weekly/monthly and further incremental backups will be based on the recent full backup.
Data Retention Policies – Set the period of time for how long you want to retain your data in your backup storage. Vembu’s basic and advanced retention policies allow you to set the data retention period from days to years.
Backup Repository – By default, backup data will be stored on the default repository. Also from the Backup Repository list, you can select the storage where you want to store your VM backup data.
Backup-Level Encryption – Set a custom password to encrypt your backup data or use a system-generated password. Backup data is encrypted during flight and at rest using AES 256 bit encryption algorithm.
Instant Boot VM – Instantly restore the backed-up Hyper-V VMs within a few seconds on Hyper-V or VMware or KVM host. The backup data is directly mounted on the target hypervisor host and booted as a VM ensuring business continuity.
Full VM Recovery – In case of VM failure, full VM recovery gives the ability to restore the entire backed up VM on the same or different Hyper-V host.
File-level Recovery – Instantly restore the individual files and folders from the backup without restoring the entire VM. FLR is supported only for Windows VMs and the files/folders can be restored to the same or different locations.
Disk Mount – Instantly mount the backed up VM disks on the disk management service of the BDR backup server. The backup disk is virtually mounted and provides access to the VM’s disk data locally.
Download – Vembu provides you the ability to download the Hyper-V VM into different virtual formats like VMDK, FLAT.VMDK, VHD, VHDX and RAW. These formats can later be used to migrate your Hyper-V VMs to other hypervisors like VMware, KVM, etc.
Granular Recovery for MS Applications – Granularly restore the application items of Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory, SQL, and SharePoint from the VM backup using Vembu Universal Recovery Tool.
Backup to Remote/Branch Office – Backup Hyper-V VM data to an offsite datacenter using Vembu Offsite DR. In case of a site disaster, you can recover your data from the Offsite DR server. You also get the option to rebuild your local backup server with all the data.
Backup to Vembu Cloud – Have a copy of your Hyper-V VM backup data on Vembu Cloud and restore your data from anywhere at any time.
WAN Optimization – Backup data is compressed, encrypted and deduplicated before being replicated to the offsite server. This effectively reduces the amount of data sent over the network.
Backup to AWS – Have a copy of your Hyper-V VM backup data in AWS. Install Offsite DR in any of your EC2 instances and have the backup data on the disks of EC2 instances. Else, Install Offsite DR on a local server and assign the S3 storage as a backup repository via AWS Storage Gateway.
Backup to Azure – Have a copy of your Hyper-V VM backup data in Azure. Install Offsite DR in any of your Azure VMs and have the backup data on the VM disks. Else, Install Offsite DR on a local server and assign the Azure cloud storage as a backup repository via Azure Data Box Gateway.
Backup to Google Cloud – Have a copy of your Hyper-V VM backup data in Google Cloud. Install Offsite DR in any of your Google VMs and have the backup data on the VM disks.
Bandwidth Throttling – This feature allows you to throttle the speed of the backup data transfer for the selected time and helps in reducing the network traffic during data replication to an offsite data center.
Offsite Replication Window – Set the time frame to stop running your offsite replication jobs for a certain time period. Once the schedule window limit ends, every hyper-v replication job to offsite will be resumed automatically.
Seed Backup – Transfer the initial offsite replication data to the remote backup server through any secondary medium such as an external hard drive or a flash drive.
Backup to Tape – Have a copy of your Hyper-V VM backup data on Tape media (LTO 3 & above) for long term archival purposes.
Vembu BDR backup server supports different storage media such as Local drives, NAS, and SAN as backup targets and automatically uses the newly added storages to store the incremental backup data.
Centrally monitor all the Hyper-V backup jobs configured from multiple BDR backup servers hosted at different locations. You can even monitor your offsite backup jobs and get extensive reports from this single cloud console.
Register your BDR backup server with Vembu Portal. You can centrally manage the licenses, billing, and invoices of all Vembu products & services you use through Vembu Portal.
View, Edit, Delete, Run/Suspend, check status and view reports of all the backup jobs from the list jobs section.
Backup Job level Report
Shows the details of the latest schedule of all the backup jobs configured from the BDR backup server.
VM Level Report
Shows the details of the backed-up Hyper-V & VMware VMs across all backup jobs.
Data Integrity Report
Shows the result of Mount and Boot tests for the image-based backups (Hyper-V, VMware & Windows).
Shows the details of all the backup jobs after every schedule is completed.
Enable email notifications to get alerts about the status of the configured backups (like success, failure, missed, etc.)
30 Days of Free Trial
Download the 30-day free trial to explore the full functionality of the Vembu BDR Suite.