Vembu Backup & Replication for VMware
Robust, Scalable, and Reliable Backup & DR Solution For Your VMware vSphere VMs
- Agentless Image-level VM Backup
- Near Continuous Data Protection
- Application-aware VM backups
- Instant VM Boot
- Instant File and Application Item-level Recovery
- Automatic Backup Verification
- Meet Compliances & Regulations
Backup unlimited VMs for free. No feature restrictions up to 10 VMs
Sign up for a Free Demo
〉 Flexible Licensing Options for All Types of Businesses
- Backup up to 10 VMware VMs for free with no feature restrictions
- Backup unlimited VMware VMs for free with certain restrictions
- Backup & restore your VMware VMs at $3.60/month
- Small businesses can backup their first 100 VMs at just $1.80/mo. per VM with the Standard Essential package
- Backup and replicate your business critical VMs to DR host at $6.00/mo.
- Small businesses can backup their first 100 VMs at $3.00/mo. per VM with the Enterprise Essential package
〉 VMware Backup & Replication – Feature Highlights
- Agentless VMware ESXi backup & vCenter VM backup
- Incremental backup using VMware Changed Block Tracking
- Application-Aware VMware vSphere backups
- Faster backups using Direct SAN and Hot-Add transport modes
- Native tape backup support
- VembuHIVETM – for efficient backup storage
- Instant Boot VM – To restore VMs instantly
- Instant & Granular File-Level Recovery
- Granular application item recovery
- VM disk-level recovery
- Cross-platform & Cross Hypervisor migration
- Network Mapping between the source and destination ESXi
- Re-Ip to reconfigure IP address of the replica VMs
- Failover to switch the operation to replica VMs
- Failback to migrate the replicate VMs to different ESXi
- Granularly recover files & folders from replica VMs
- Centralized monitoring of VMware Backup & Replication
- Email notification to get instant alerts
- Encryption using AES- 256 bit encryption algorithm
- Compression & Deduplication for data reduction
- Offsite backup replication to your datacenter
- Cloud replication to Vembu Cloud
〉 Complete VMware Backup Solution
Vembu takes a complete approach to protect VMware vSphere VMs. Business demands today require a VMware backup solution that protects vSphere environments ranging from a single host to multiple hosts in a vSphere cluster all the way to production workloads in an entire site. Vembu BDR Suite also enables businesses to leverage the cloud for offsite storage in an effective 3-2-1 backup strategy.
Blistering VMware Backup & Restore Performance
Vembu BDR Suite allows organizations to meet and exceed aggressive RTO and RPO objectives and provides blistering backup and restore performance!
- Near Continuous Data Protection with RPO and RTO values of less than 15 minutes
- Vembu leverages VMware’s Changed Block Tracking for Incremental Backups
- Instant & Granular File-Level Recovery
- Instant Application Item Recovery for Microsoft Exchange, Active Directory, SQL Server and Sharepoint
Unequaled VMware Backup Security
Businesses today must be focused on security. Your VMware backup solution needs to be a central component of your overall security strategy. Vembu BDR Suite delivers on that demand!
- Vembu uses its patented and secure in house file system VembuHIVE to store backup data
- Backup data is stored in chunks that are unreadable outside of the Vembu solution
- Backup data is encrypted with AES 256-bit encryption both in-flight and at rest, so your VMware backup data is always safe
- Vembu allows user to specify their encryption key for additional protection
Flexible VMware Backup and Recovery
Vembu BDR Suite provides all the flexibility needed to protect and restore business-critical data. Don’t work around your VMware backup solution – choose a VMware backup software that gives you all the options you need.
- Cross Hypervisor Migration (V2V) allows converting VMs from VMware to Hyper-V and vice versa, giving you the flexibility needed for any environment or use case
- With the VembuHIVE file system, all backups can be instantly exposed in a different format and easily migrated between hypervisors, including VMware, Hyper-V, and KVM
- Backups can be instantly converted to VHD, VHDX, Flat-VMDK, VMDK, or RAW file formats
- Vembu Universal Explorer instantly restores the individual items from Microsoft Exchange, SQL, Active Directory, and Sharepoint
Meeting Compliances and Regulations
In today’s complex data-driven world, compliance is a needed and necessary measure to both protect and secure data privacy. VMware vSphere data protection solutions must be able to meet and exceed compliance regulations such as General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR), PCI-DSS, and others. Vembu BDR Suite allows organizations to meet these compliance regulations.
- Backups are stored and transmitted securely using AES-256 encryption
- Vembu’s Advanced Retention policies allow organizations to meet auditory compliance
- With advanced retention merge options, businesses can customize the data retention, and merging of recovery points
- Advanced monitoring and reporting of VMware protection jobs allow administrators to monitor their data continuously
Cloud Integration of VMware vSphere Backups
Leveraging the public cloud is a must-have capability for today’s fast-moving and agile businesses. Vembu BDR Suite allows organizations to take advantage of the cloud as an aspect of the overall VMware disaster recovery strategy.
- Vembu Offsite DR server allows businesses to have an offsite copy of their VMware backup data
- Vembu Offsite DR can be installed in your datacenter or public cloud
- Vembu also provides a fully hosted cloud solution that stores a copy of backup data in the Vembu cloud
- Directly store the backup data in AWS S3, Azure Databox, or Oracle Cloud
〉 Backup Features Needed by Today’s Businesses Running VMware vSphere
Vembu VMware Backup & Replication software delivers a powerful, agile, and reliable data protection solution for the business-critical Virtual Machines running in a VMware vSphere environment. Organizations can now effectively meet the data protection demands such as Performance, Security, Flexibility, Compliance, and Cloud compatibility with its intuitive, agentless, and image-level VMware VM backup & replication.
Near Continuous Data Protection (CDP)
With RPO and RTO values of less than 15 minutes, Vembu allows businesses to have guaranteed business continuity in the event of a disaster. Vembu provides instant restores at the VM, file and application object level.
- 15-minute RPO and RTO
- Instant file restores
- Instant VM recovery
- Instant Application Object recovery
Agentless Host Level/vCenter Level Restores
Manage the backup for all VMware VMs from a single centralized web console and most importantly – no agents!
- No agents installed inside VMware virtual machines
- Near Continuous Data Protection with Application-aware processing
- Single pane of glass management dashboard via Vembu BDR Server
- Provides a complete view of VMware infrastructure from the vSphere ESXi host or vCenter Server level
Instant Boot VM
Bringing back your VM data and services up and running is the top priority during a disaster recovery scenario. With Vembu Instant Boot VM, you can boot VMware virtual machines directly from Vembu backup storage.
- Perform Instant Boot VM on virtual platforms such as VMware ESXi, Hyper-V, or a KVM environment
- Track and record all the changes made on the Instant Boot VM as a persistent change
- Ability to include the persistent changes to the VM when performing permanent recovery
Automated Backup Verification
Backups are only as good as their ability to be restored. Don’t be caught off guard during a disaster with corrupted backup data. Vembu BDR Suite provides automated VM backup verification.
- VMs are booted automatically from Vembu backup storage
- Vembu takes a screenshot of the booted VM
- The Screenshot is sent to the administrator via email, ensuring VM backups are fully functional and operational
Flexible Restores and Migration
Vembu BDR Suite can convert the virtual machine backups between hypervisors. VMware backups can be easily converted to multiple formats including VHD, VHDX, VMDK, Flat-VMDK, or RAW, that is often needed in V2V or migration scenarios.
- Start downloading the data instantly
- Migrate VMware VMs to other hypervisors
- Migrate VMware VMs to public cloud
Offsite Backup Copy
Copying backup data offsite is an essential part of protecting business-critical data. If something goes wrong with the primary copy of the backup data, you will be able to effortlessly restore the business-critical data from the offsite copy.
- Replicate to your datacenter or Vembu Cloud
- Store a copy on tape media for long term archival
- WAN accelerated data transfer to the offsite
Software Defined Backup Storage
Vembu BDR Suite allows creating software-defined logical storage pools that make efficient use of all available storage provisioned for backup purposes. Administrators can easily add or group new storage medium into the backup repository.
- Scale the backup repository at anytime
- AES-256 bit encryption algorithm with custom password
- Inbuilt compression & deduplication
Virtual Lab Capabilities
Building your own production lab environment need not be difficult. Vembu BDR Suite allows launching virtual machines directly from backup storage. Instantly, virtual machines can be provisioned on VMware or Hyper-V hosts!
- Install new software for testing
- Troubleshoot the problems of the VMs
- Test new software patches and upgrades before taking to production
How Vembu VMware Backup and Replication works
Backup the business-critical VMware VMs by adding an ESXi or vCenter Servers directly to the Vembu BDR Backup server. Configure backups for your virtual machines by selecting the VMs, incremental schedule, and retention policy. Vembu uses VMware’s API and VMware snapshot technology to backup the VMware VMs. The backup data of the VMs will be stored on the backup repository after compression and encryption.
Only the changes made in the VMs after the full backup will be tracked and backed up using VMware CBT. During a data loss or disaster, you will be able to restore the data from multiple recovery options. You can restore the entire VM or recover only the individual files/folders & application items from the backup. You can also replicate the business-critical VMware VMs from one ESXi to another ESXi. If the source machine gets crashed, you can failover the replicated VM and continue to work on the replica VM.
Select the entire host or individual VMs – Ensure data protection for all the VMs or only the selected VMs from the list. You can also split the VMs from a single host into multiple backup jobs as per the backup policy and configure backups for it.
Exclude VM/Disk from backup – Sometimes it is not required to backup all the VMs or all the disks from a VM. Using VM/Disk Exclusion option, you can easily exclude the VMs or Disks from getting backed up. You can either exclude the single or multiple disks from the VMs when configuring a backup job.
Application-aware for Microsoft Applications – Ensure consistency of your business-critical applications such as Microsoft Exchange, SQL, SharePoint, Active Directory by quiescing the application using Microsoft VSS. You can also free up the disk space by truncating the transaction logs after the backup.
Application aware for Oracle Database – Vembu ensures the consistency of the oracle database by checking the environment variables and moving them to backup mode when taking a snapshot. Also, you can delete the logs based on time or size to clean up disk space.
|Flexible backup scheduling – Automate all backup jobs and make them run without supervision. Flexibly schedule the full and incremental backups for your vmware virtual machine as per your data protection policy. For every backup job, you can specify their own incremental and full backup schedule which starts from every 15 minutes to hourly, daily and weekly intervals.|
Basic Retention – You can retain upto 999 days of backup data using basic retention. A good retention policy helps you to retain the older version of backup data and also helps you optimally use the backup repository by removing the older data.
Advanced Retention – Vembu’s GFS retention allows you to retain the backup data for longer periods of time by merging the incremental backup together at a regular interval such as daily, weekly and monthly. This removes the identical data blocks and makes it perfect for the long term archival.
Backup Encryption – Your backup data is crucial to you, vembu protects it by encrypting using the highly secured AES 256 bit encryption algorithm during the transit and at the backup repository. For added security, you can protect the backup data by providing your own encryption password.
Load balancing using proxy servers – You can distribute load of the backup servers by using backup proxies. Vembu backup proxies process the backup and send the backup data to the backup server for storage, where the Vembu BDR Server administers all the tasks.
Backup to tape – It is necessary to keep copies of the backup data for a longer period of time, but keeping them in a magnetic disk or SSD is not cost effective. You can now have copy of the backup on your tape media for long term archival and compliances.
Advanced transport modes – Vembu supports backup data transfer over HotAdd, Direct SAN and Network transport modes (NBD & NBDSSL). Based on the deployment Vembu automatically chooses any one of the transport modes for faster & Seamless data transfer.
Instant Boot VM – Instant boot VM is one the fastest recovery options that lets you recover the backup data within a few minutes thereby reducing downtime and ensuring business continuity.
Full VM Recovery – In case of VM failure, full VM recovery gives you the ability to recover the entire VM from the backup. You can restore the VM in exactly the same state as it was during the backup, including its configuration, to the same or different host.
File Level Recovery – Only some of the files were corrupted or deleted inside the VM, you can granularly recover only the selected files and folder directly from the backup storage without restoring the entire VM.
Disk Mount – Mount the backup data virtually on the disk management of the local machine without occupying any disk space. You will be able to browse and restore the attached disk through the file explorer of the local machine.
Disk Level Recovery – Restore the individual disk of the backed up VMware VM by attaching it to the target VM in a same or different ESXi or vCenter server. Once attached, the disk will be accessed through the target VM.
Download VMs – Download the backup data into multiple virtual file formats such as VMDK, flat-VMDK, VHD, VHDX and RAW. You can use the downloaded files for cross platform or cross hypervisor migration.
Exchange Granular Recovery – You can granularly recover the individual exchange items such as emails, contacts, calendars from the backup data without restoring the entire VM. You can restore the application data to the same server or export it to a different server as per your needs.
SQL Granular Recovery – Recover individual SQL databases or tables instantly & granularly from VMware backup without recovering the entire virtual machine. Vembu Granular Recovery Tool helps the IT Administrators to recover MS SQL server objects like tables, views, stored procedures and etc. to the same or different SQL server.
SharePoint Granular Recovery – Granularly recover the files and folders that reside on a SharePoint site to any location, which are accidentally deleted or corrupted from the host server, without recovering the entire backup data.
Active Directory Granular Recovery – Browse, search and restore the individual user roles and other AD items directly from the backup data, without restoring the entire backup.
Persistent Boot – You can instantly boot the backed up ESXi VMs using the ‘Instant Boot VM’ and all the modification made on the booted VM is recorded as persistent changes. When recovering the VM, you can include all the changes that you made on the instant boot session.
Vembu Virtual Drive – You can instantly get access to the backup data through Vembu Virtual Drive as virtual files. These files can be mounted to any of the hypervisors and booted as a VM or it can be mounted to the local server and accessed through the file explorer.
Physical to Virtual Migration – Migrate the physical servers to VMware ESXi or vCenter server by backing the physical server and then downloading the VMware backup data into VMDK file format. You can continue backing the newly migrated servers using the VMware ESXi VM backup.
Virtual to Virtual Migration – Effortlessly migrate the virtual machines from one virtual platform to another easily using Vembu. You can migrate the backup VMware VMs to Hyper-V, KVM and other hypervisors.
Network Mapping – Eliminate the need for manual network configuration on the replica VM by creating multiple network mapping rules. You can map a VM to a network in the target host by specifying the source network and target network when configuring the VM replication.
Re-IP Rules – If the IP addressing of the source and the target ESXi are different, you can create multiple Re‑IP rules that automatically reconfigure IP addresses of the replica VM on the target ESXi host to ensure minimum failover downtime.
Failover – During the VM crash or disaster, you can turn on the replica VM to a recent restore point and minimize the business downtime by switching the business operation from the source VM to the replica VM on the target host.
Failback – Once the source host is recovered back from a disaster, you can switch back all the operations from the target replication host to the source host without any downtime, which are moved during the disaster.
Broader Storage Medium Support – Vembu supports different storage media such as Local drives, NAS (NFS and CIFS) and SAN (iSCSI and FC) as backup targets.
Scale-out Storage – As your company grows, your IT infrastructure expands and the business data you deal with also increases. You can flexibly scale your storage repositories as per the storage needs without constraints.
VembuHive-File system – Vembu BDR backup server uses its own patented cloud file system – VembuHIVE for efficient storage management. It is a virtualized file system on top of your existing file system and supports in-built encryption, compression, deduplication, version control, and error correction, for storing the backup data.
Storage Pooling – You can group multiple storage volumes into a single entity. Aggregate the free space available from different volumes and use them to store backups.
Data Reduction – With inbuilt compression and deduplication vembu can help you save a lot on backup storage footprints.
Backup Proxy – Backup proxies are helpful in distributing the workloads and scale the backup infrastructure. Also, It handles the data traffic between VMware vSphere and Vembu BDR Server during the backup.
Boot Check – Backed up VMs will be booted using the latest available recovery point and the screenshot of the booted VM is captured to confirm the recoverability of the backup data. The same screenshot will also be emailed to the administrators.
Mount Check – The backup VMDK will be temporarily mounted on the disk management service of the machine where the Vembu BDR Server is installed to ensure the backed up disks the VMs are mountable.
Replication to Own Datacenter – Extended data protection to your critical business data by replicating them from production site to offsite data center, which will safeguard your business during unexpected disasters.
Replication to Vembu Cloud – Some businesses need a DR plan that doesn’t involve setting up expensive off-site infrastructure. This is where Cloud DR ties together your Business Continuity plan by replicating all your backup data to the Vembu Cloud. Hosted in AWS, Vembu Cloud secures your critical data from disasters.
Intuitive Reporting – With our detailed reporting, you will get clear instructions on what needs to be done and help you spot backup problems before they occur. You can get to know all the happenings in your backup infrastructure by spending a minimal amount of time.
Email Notification – With extensive reporting options that can be automatically emailed to your inbox periodically, you will remain informed about the backup jobs you have configured. Backup and restore reports from your BDR Backup Servers & Offite DR Servers can be automatically sent to your inbox at your configured schedule.
Centralized Monitoring – End-to-end visibility to all your backups & backup servers using Vembu BDR 360. The centralized monitoring offered by BDR360 helps you keep track of all configured backup jobs. It also helps to enhance the business productivity with the help of its extensive reports and email notifications.
30 Days of Free Trial
Download the 30-day free trial to explore the full functionality of the Vembu BDR Suite.